[UPDATE: SAND Final Comments on EO4426 were Submitted 2/24/98. Click here to view.]
Pritzker/MEPA Scoping Session 1/29/98
SAND has requested that MEPA request that the Pritzker property proponents (Boston Properties, HBC Land Associates) resubmit their development proposal as a new project, not simply an update to an abandoned 1986 proposal.
The following justification for SAND's position was officially stated to MEPA on January 29th, 1998 at the proponent's public scoping session, and will be included in SAND's forthcoming written public comment to MEPA regarding EO4426.
- Recent Environmental Improvements. Federal and State taxpayers have spent $4 Billion on harbor cleanup and over $1 Billion has been targetted for development of water and land-based transit systems to service the seaport. These recent environmental improvements will benefit the project proponents, yet the EO4426 is in violation of current environmental regulations.
- Legal Applicability of Abandoned 1986 Proposal. The proponents did not pursue development of the original 1986 proposal. Environmental allowances approved for a completely abandoned proposal should not override existing environmental regulations.
- Violation of BRA Interim Plan. EO4426 is in violation with the word and spirit of the City of Boston Redevelopment Authority South Boston Seaport Master Plan Interim Report. Development of seaport land must be in alignment with the final BRA report, to be published by the BRA after a full community process is completed.
- Pattern of Compromised Seaport Development. Development of the entire Boston Seaport must be governed by one Seaport Master Plan. MEPA allowances for single large-scale development projects, from the Federal Courthouse to the World Trade Center hotel, continue to compromise cohesive urban and environmental planning efforts.
- Lack of Public Process. The only public presentation EO4426 was unpublicized, and attended by fewer than 50 people - the majority of whom were proponents of the project and Waterfront Committee members. We have requested that the BRA produce minutes of any other public meetings regarding EO4426 and none are available. Please provide any information to us regarding public presentations to MEPA of EO4426, including attendance numbers and minutes.
MEPA Comment Period to Expire 2/24/98